The closure of all K-12 schools in Michigan is halfway through its second week, and there are starting to be expectations it will go on longer than first announced. Governor Whitmer ordered the schools closed for three weeks as part of her strategy for social distancing and to try to slow down the spread of coronavirus. In an automated phone call to district parents Wednesday, St. Joseph Public Schools superintendent Dr. Thomas Bruce says they will receive guidance soon from the governor’s office regarding the length of the shutdown, and he expects it will be extended. The governor was asked about the possibility of canceling the rest of the school year last week, but said it was too early to address that idea. Kansas has already ended the school year, and Detroit Public Schools Community District superintendent Nikolai Vitti sent a letter to the Michigan Department of Education this week urging the same action for this state.