email mobile

 
Michael Patrick Shiels
9 AM - NOON
WSJM-FM 94.9


Posted: Thursday, 09 January 2014 11:20AM

Man Dies From Refrigerator Fire, Family Sues Whirlpool Corp.



A North Carolina family is suing Whirlpool Corporation claiming a defective refrigerator overheated and killed a man with a fireball. The claim, says Ashley Walker's fridge overheated more than 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit in 2012, because it had a defective heating element pin in its icemaker. The family says Walker saw smoke and opened the freezer door causing a back draft - so much oxygen was re-introduced to the fire when the door opened it sent a fireball at him. Much of his home and belongings burned in the fire. Walker died later that day from his injuries. The family is seeking compensatory and punitive damages for negligence, failure to warn, breach of warranty and negligent repair. The suit says major appliances cause 150,000 house fires each year.


WebReadyTM Powered by WireReady® NSI


A   A   A
 Follow